Children with European Citizenship

There are no additional steps to take if your children are citizens of a European country, the European Economic Area (EEA), or Switzerland.


Minors (younger than 18) from Non-European countries

For stays of more than 90 days, your underage children (younger than 18 upon their arrival in France) with a nationality from a non-European country will need a long stay visa (D) to be able to enter the French territory. This application may be filed at the same time as your visa application if your nationality also requires one and if you will arrive at the same time as them in France.

If you have a researcher “Passeport talent – chercheur” visa (or “Scientifique – chercheur” if you are Algerian), your children may apply for a family “Passeport talent – famille” visa (or “Vie privée et familiale”, if your children are of Algerian nationality).

Once you have arrived in France, your underage children do not need residence permits.

Nevertheless, it is recommended that you apply for a Circulation Document for Underage Foreigners (Document de circulation pour Etrangers Mineurs (DCEM)) once you have arrived in France in order to make trips outside of France easier during your stay.

This DCEM document allows foreign minors to re-enter France after traveling abroad and to cross borders within the Schengen area without a visa. It attests to the legal nature of the minor’s stay in France. It must be accompanied by a valid travel document (in most cases a passport) when the minor travels outside of France.

Applications for the DCEM document can be filed in your local police headquarters.

Up until March 2019, a French Republic Identity Card (Titre d’Identité Républicain (TIR)) was issued to children born to non-European parents in France in order to facilitate travel outside of France. The TIR Identity Card no longer exists. Only the DCEM document is issued to children that are citizens of non-European countries. If your child is born in France during your stay, you may apply for a DCEM document for them.

If your child is 16 or older and wishes to work, they must apply for a residence permit under the same conditions as children over 18.

Children of Majority age (over 18 years of age) from Non-European countries

Children who came to France as minors but turned 18 during their stay must apply for a residence permit after their age of majority.

Your children of majority age who will be accompanying you for more than 90 days and who are already adults when they come to France must apply for a long stay visa D to be able to enter France and will be required to apply for a residence permit upon their arrival.

As family members of a researcher, they can only apply for a “Visiteur” (visitor) visa or residence permit, which does not authorize them to work in France.

If your child of majority age is already engaged in studies or working in France, it would be best for them to come to France with the appropriate visa for their situation (student, employee…).

If one of the parents is a citizen of a country in the European Union, the European Economic Area, or Switzerland, your child of majority age must apply for a residence permit as a family member of a citizen of the EU/EEA/Switzerland.